Sunday, June 18, 2006

NorCal Bike Ambassador - On the road

I took a couple of weeks off work to visit family in Canada for the first week and then go to the World Mountain Conference in Whistler the next week. Unfortunately, I couldn't make the logistics work for the Whistler trip so instead I decided to embark on a solo camping/ mountain biking adventure in Northern California. My wife and child were going to stay in Ontario with my parents and I would pick them up at SFO at the end of my trip. I contacted bike advocates that I had previously met and arranged a couple of rides. I called this adventure "The mountain biking Ambassador" trip. It was a great opportunity to see new places, new rides and get to know other advocates.

I packed up Ubi the Subaru with camping gear, the Marin Attack trail bike and an On-One Inbred single speed. Having a trail bike and a single speed gave me a wide variety of riding options. Ubi was left at my Aunt and Uncles place in East Palo Alto while we were in Toronto visiting family.

The trip from Toronto back to California was an all day affair. My brother drove me from his place in the beaches of Toronto to the Scarborough suburbs where my Grandmother lived and my Aunts and Uncle were staying. We drove a rented car down to Buffalo, had lunch near the airport and flew to SFO via Washington, DC. We arrived at San Francisco airport at midnight and I was finally in bed at my Aunt and Uncles place in East Palo Alto at 2 am. Not a great start for a bike trip but that's part of the adventure of travel.

I didn't get a great night of sleep due to a number of factors and I slow getting started in the morning. The TV was tuned to the World Cup and I was reminded of the WC mania in Toronto with flags from all countries attached to cars. Here in the Bay Area, it doesn't seem to be on the radar. I did a couple of trips to buy groceries food and an iPod mount for the car. It should have been one trip but my headspace wasn't really in the game.

I finally left my Aunt and Uncle's place at 1:30 pm and I was on the road. My destination was Santa Rosa. Ubi felt a little slow and unstable probably the wind and the poor weight distribution. Traffic though San Francisco was slow but not too bad. I crossed a mental threshold driving over the Golden Gate Bridge to the Marin headlands that signaled to me that I was heading into Northern California for an adventure.

No comments: