Saturday, January 21, 2006

Buckethead coming to Santa Cruz


Buckethead is coming to the Catalyst on Feb 24th. I've seen him perform about 4 or 5 times and I'm definitely going to back to see him again.

I first heard Buckethead play on the 1993 Praxis CD "Transmutation (Mutatis Mutandis)" and I was struck by the machine gun guitar reminiscent of Eddy Van Halen and Yngwie Malmsteen. I saw him play with Praxis in San Francisco in 1997 and I was blown away to see him live. He's so tall, moves like a robot and plays the guitar so effortlessly and soulfully.

One of the last times I saw Buckethead, he did an encore in which he did a medley of Led Zeppelin tunes. I've heard quite a few Led Zep cover bands in my life but Buckethead nailed Jimmy Page's licks effortlessly.

He doesn't fit the stereotype of a guitar hero. Guitar heroes love attention but Buckethead is very modest. The mask makes him anonymous, he doesn't speak or sing and in concert, he doesn't draw attention to himself. His virtuosity with the guitar is what commands the respect and attention that he deserves.

Should be a great show.

2 comments:

L. Christmas said...

Buckethead rocks!!!

bummer I missed this.

Mark Davidson said...

You haven't missed it. He's coming to Scruz on Feb 24 and SF on Feb 25:

http://bucketheadland.com/tour/