Friday, January 13, 2006

iPod Video and A/V Cable


I really enjoy the iPod 5G. I've had it since it was released and I have found that I have been listening to a lot of podcasts with it. One of the podcasts that I look forward to is This Week in Tech - which is a roundtable of tech pundits talking about tech news, new gadgets, rumors and speculation.

Leo Laporte mentioned that he also has a 5G and bought the Apple A/V cable to connect to his TV. I didn't bother with the $19 custom cable and just used a normal A/V cable and reversed the Video and Audio right RCA jacks. It turns out that you have to shift the each cable to the right. This article at MacDevCenter.com is probably the definitive article explaining how to use a regular A/V cable with the 5G. I really like this comment by an engineer to explain why Apple may have reversed the jacks.

This is my first iPod and the first Apple product that I have purchased. I really enjoy the engineering and the whole iPod/iTunes experience. I can honestly say that it has opened up my music library and has made listening to music and podcasts a very convenient experience. Next up is an iPod adapter for my car.

No comments: