Thursday, January 12, 2006

First Post: Cocaine and Strippers

I'm finally in the blogosphere. It's about time. I became aware of blogging back in early 2000. I figured it would be something that I would be interested in. I kept a journal as a young lad and was a prolific writer. In University, I had thoughts of becoming a science and technology journalist - long before magazines like Wired made tech journalism sexy. Now I'm 6 years late to the party and have started a blog. I've been busy.

I remember meeting the Blogger guys at a JavaOne dinner at a very nice restaurant called 42 degrees in San Francisco. Ah, those were the days. The dot com boom was in full Swing. I was working for the Very Large Computer Company and the stock was through the roof. Software Developers were treated like rock stars: limosines, 25 year old Macallan, fancy dinners at exotic SF restaurants, snorting cocaine off the back sides of strippers.... ok, I made that last one up. There were no cocaine and strippers - just geeks and cafeine.

The dot com boom was over. Now the "Web 2.0" is in effect. The Blogger guys are now part of the Very Large Web Services Company and are probably stinking rich. I hope they don't spend all thier money on cocaine and strippers.

No comments: